Sunday, January 21, 2007

Feeling cared for...

Isn't is nice when someone sends you a note of encouragement? Or when someone pulls you aside to ask how things are going? I don't mean the normal, how are you doing and expect the "I'm OK" response and don't really even break stride as you continue walking past the person. Well, today I had both happen to me, and at first I didn't think much of it. However, after arriving home from church, a soccer game, and then lunch, I sat down to read Oswald Chambers for the day - and it all came together. It made me glad that I did not forget to read my devotions today, which happens from time to time (or more often than I like to admit).

A good friend pulled me aside at church this morning and asked, truly, how are you doing? You don't seem yourself as of late. At first, I must admit, I was a little taken back. However, after pausing to think, and having to cut the conversation short for Sunday School to begin (great job today, Heather:), I thought about it a little more. As I read through Chambers thought for the day, a few sentences struck a chord. "As I as spontaneously kind to God as I used to be...?" "Does everything in my life fill his heart with gladness?" Finally, "Does he ever find me pondering the time I only cared for Him?"

Tough questions, if I am honest with myself. Something in my demeanor, and the working of the Holy Spirit, caused this friend to notice I was not myself. Have I become so busy "doing his work" that I have forgotten to find joy in it all? It's given me a lot to pray about today, and it never ceases to amaze me how God knows what we need to hear, when we need to hear, and who we need to hear it from.

Another friend e-mailed me a nice comment about my first blog posting, and it blessed me today. Even though she is halfway around the world, missing home, prayer for her husband's safety, she took the time to encourage me. God is Good!

Now, I'm done rambling, see you next time.

9 comments:

Mhairi said...

YEAH! Chip is blogging! Let's see if you are truly your Fathers son? (Like there is any doubt!)
Love you (and your family)
Mhairi

Soulpadre said...

Let's see: the reality of it is.....NO!!!!! Isn't it great to be in true community, one that you have grace to be you, and still get to answer the hard questions? Blessings on you!

Bill said...

Great to see you blogging. Hope you are well. I love when people really care and listen when you need to vent, talk, or just scream your head off. That is a true and enriching community.

Mhairi said...

seriously, UPDATE!
You are two months behind!

Caryn said...

Chip have you found your password yet? Come on. We want to hear about Germany

Caryn said...

Chip have you found your password yet? Come on. We want to hear about Germany

Caryn said...

Chip have you found your password yet? Come on. We want to hear about Germany

Caryn said...

Chip have you found your password yet? Come on. We want to hear about Germany

Mhairi said...

i totally just entered your e-mail address so that you are resent your password... No excuses now!