Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Giving Good Gifts

Well, I told someone last week that I would get a post up by last Friday.

Sorry, for disappointing you, but better late than never, right? Isn't that how the phrase goes? Who makes up those phrases anyway? I'm sure it was some procrastinator somewhere. That one never seemed to work with any of my teachers in school, so why did it stick around?

Then, I thought about it for a few more moments. I mean, I know it's not in God's heavenly nature to utter those words, but did it maybe pass through Jesus' mind a few times on Earth? Perhaps when the disciples saw Jesus with the little children, after they had tried to hold them back. Or maybe after Jesus healed the demon-possessed boy that they were unable to drive out and they asked him about it privately. He responded in Mark 9:29 by saying, "This kind of spirit can be forced out only by prayer." Of course a few verses later he told them about his death and resurrection and they didn't get it. Maybe he thought, just wait, Pentecost is coming.

Last night, we remembered to do our dinner activity, which consists of a little flip-book called, Love Talks - 101 Questions to Stimulate Interaction with Your Family, by Dr. Gary Chapman. Last night it was #31.

"Give each member of your family an imaginary gift certificate to a favorite store, for a favorite or wished-for product or special event."

You can probably guess some of the gifts tossed around the table. I'll try to accurately retell a few (I'm getting old and the memory is fading). I was given everything from private lessons with Tiger Woods to a new car every year. Zachary received a go-kart track in his backyard and private baseball instruction from Derek Jeter. Jo had a whole new wardrobe, spa treatments, and 100 pairs of shoes by the time we finished. Noah had a Pirate Ship bed and all the Power Rangers imaginable by the end of the roundtable. It was a lot of fun to imagine, if cost was not an issue, the gifts we would give our family.

This morning I was awakened with the thought of lasting gifts for my family and what I really would want to give each family member around the table. As I thought, I recalled a verse from
James 1:17 (NIV)

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

For my wife, I suppose it's those simple things, mentioned in passing that would really mean a lot to her. Having some time to do the things she enjoys, like heading out to the mall for a few minutes, or surprisingly enough, shopping for groceries as a way of unloading everything from the work day that just transpired. Just that hour of sanity from a crazy day at the office, means much more that a weekly massage. {(and she actually did this last night, God (1) Devil (0)}

For my oldest son, Zachary, it would be to protect his heart for people from the onslaughts that Satan would want to bring against him. As much as I loved watching him yesterday, happy, smiling at basketball camp, it was so much better seeing him cheer a teammate on as they drilled the skill for that station. If he keeps that sensitivity to others, no matter what he grows up to become, he'll be using his gift to honor God. Math facts can always be conquered by a calculator, if needed.

For my younger son, Noah, even though he is only four, to continue to nurture his boldness of character. He is a matter-of-fact person, much like his mother, and I love that about both of them. If he can keep that part of his personality, imagine the witness he can have to those around him.

For me, yeah hitting some balls with Tiger would be nice, but it would be just a moment to relive by telling others a story. How much more though would I get out of a life totally sold out to Christ? Sure, I'm a good person, yada, yada. I am a believer and have stepped out in faith before, but the end of that verse is what gets me. "...who does not change like shifting shadows." Sometimes, I am a shifting shadow, going along with the crowd, not speaking up when I know it's the right time or right thing.

God has blessed me, every time I ask, or even when I don't. He has put people in my path who live out their gifts every day, even those with different political ideologies. It is not for me to vicariously live off of those other people, like a leach, along for as much as I can get out of it. I am here to live out my gifts, within my family first, and to those I am privileged to worship with each week.

So, what good gifts have you received lately? Are you anticipating any coming your way? Not just as an individual, although that is necessary, but for your fellowship of believers, in whatever form. I'm sure it will be more than even Hazael brought to Elisha in 2 Kings 8:9(a).

Check it out, interesting reading from my devotions yesterday.

No comments: